Monday, July 3, 2017

Let It Continue (July 3rd 2017)

We had a wonderful week, many great lessons with our investigators. In all honesty, this is really my last preparation day to do something because next week I will email on Tuesday because I will be going to the Temple for my last P-day. I will not write my last email this week but I will share some of the things that I have observed.

I am beginning to appreciate more and more the Plan of Salvation and how personal it is. That there truly is a plan for all of us and we have that God given gift of Agency that we can exercise to either follow that plan or to choose our own path. I have become so grateful for the Commandments of God. Now, what are these commandments? The 10 commandments, Pray often, study the scriptures, Keep the Sabbath day holy, Follow the prophet, the law of chastity, the word of wisdom, tithing, fasting. Now for the longest time, I saw them as a do and do not list. As I have shared in previous emails they are principles.

A principle is a basic doctrine or law, what is doctrine? It is an enduring truth. So if the commandments are principle based then they are enduring truths that we can rely on. God blesses for obedience and trying to keep these commandments, I love what Nephi says in the beginning of the Book of Mormon, in 1 Nephi 3:7


7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.


Our Heavenly Father requires our best effort. I have also found assurance in the Atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ. God is Just but because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, he can also be merciful. In Romans 3:23 Paul states,


23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;


We will fall short but if we hold the truths that are firm as the commandments are and understand that we can be forgiven when those mistakes come that we will find the greatest joy in this life because of Jesus Christ and His Gospel, which is Faith, Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the Holy Ghost and Enduring to the End, we will have direction, purpose and promised blessings. I know this to be true because I have observed this in the people I teach and the scriptures that I read. I grateful for the chance I have to serve. I love you all and hope you continue to be safe and happy as you live the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Love, 

Elder Washburn





No comments:

Post a Comment