Monday, June 26, 2017

Life Eternal (June 26, 2017)

What a week, I don't know if I told all of you I got chiggers a couple weeks back. They itch so bad! They are beginning to go away. This week we held a mini-MTC for some kids from ages 7-11 it was a lot of fun, I showed them how to tie a tie. That was interesting. We had a great lesson with the Hagans and the member we brought with us did a great job. We were out doing more service for people. Moved boxes and pulled weeds. That is always fun. Had a few dinners this week. The Anderson's fed us. They are so fun, always cracking jokes it’s the best. We held a Gospel Study on Thursday night and had a discussion on Jesus Christ. It was well attended and had people not of our faith there with people who were it was a great experience. The Lord has been blessing us abundantly here but we are now beginning to recognize that assistance. 

This week we have seen some great blessings. I was especially touched by a scripture in the New Testament in John 17:3 
3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

What a powerful scripture on the importance of knowing our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Elder C. Scott Grow of the seventy stated in his most recent conference address on how we can do this. “As you study the scriptures, you not only learn about the Savior, but you can actually come to know the Savior. Another one of his quotes that I enjoyed was this one, “God knows you and invites you to know Him.”

How often do we find ourselves studying the scriptures? If we are, are we applying them? I have seen the greatest amount of spiritual growth as I have truly studied the scriptures and taking to heart the lessons being taught by the prophets of old. In the book of Mormon Jacob a prophet in the ancient Americas writes what the purpose of writing things down. In Jacob 4:4 
4 For, for this intent have we written these things, that they may know that we knew of Christ, and we had a hope of his glory many hundred years before his coming; and not only we ourselves had a hope of his glory, but also all the holy prophets which were before us.
Earlier in the book of Mormon Jacobs older brother Nephi writes a similar purpose for writing things down. In 1 Nephi 6:5-6
5 Wherefore, the things which are pleasing unto the world I do not write, but the things which are pleasing unto God and unto those who are not of the world.
6 Wherefore, I shall give commandment unto my seed, that they shall not occupy these plates with things which are not of worth unto the children of men.

We have the scriptures to teach us of Jesus Christ and his Gospel. We have the scriptures for a wise purpose. I know as I have studied, pondered and applied the scriptures I have felt the Holy Ghost the testifier of truth in my life more abundantly, I have come to know the Savior and I have come to appreciate the many other privileges that I have because he sacrificed so much for me. I would invite you to as you study the scriptures to think how does this apply to me? You may also ask “How can I be more like the Savior?” “How can I be more like Nephi (a character in the scriptures)?” Whatever questions you ask and whatever answers you receive the important thing to do is then act.

We can't forget the importance of prayer, in fact the very scripture is quoted from a prayer of Jesus Christ, teaching us yet again through his perfect example that as we pray to our Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ directed by the Holy Ghost we can know the Will of the Father by following the path of the Savior, His gospel, and His example. I would also encourage you to pray. Prayer is a basic communication between us and our Heavenly Father that can bring many blessings. I love you all, be safe and have fun.

Love,

Elder Washburn













No comments:

Post a Comment