Monday, June 19, 2017

Remember (June 19th 2017)

What a week we had, many more opportunities to serve which is what we like. Pulled more weeds and hedged bushes we could start a lawn care company but that's not why we do it. It is mostly for older people in our ward and also people who are physically unable to do it on their own. We had some really good lessons with the people that we are teaching. Michael and Keri a part member family Michael is the one we teach. We have been focusing on the Book of Mormon and what was lost in the Apostasy and what was restored in the Restoration. Mason and Connor who are brothers Mason is 9 years old and Connor is 11 there mom is a member and dad isn't around. They came to church this week, we have been focusing on the commandments with them. Kathy and Vance, Kathy isn't a member and Vance is. We have just barely started teaching them so we are starting from the beginning, she has been reading the Book of Mormon regularly which is awesome. Mickey, we see twice a week and we help him out he is awesome I love Mickey. He has a strong desire to come to church and learn about the Gospel it is amazing. I could go on and on about these people. We are teaching more people but I decided to include these ones this week.

   We had Mason, Connor, and Kathy come this week to church which is exciting having people come to church is always a blessing. I remember the first time we had someone come to church in Edwardsville (First area). Remembering what our Father in Heaven has done for us in our lives has become very important to me over the past few months. In the book of Mormon, Moroni talks about this same thing in Moroni 10: 3
  3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.
  Moroni teaches many powerful principles but what he says about remembering sticks with me. The Phrase "remember how merciful the Lord hath been." When I look back on my mission I can now see really how merciful the Lord has been to me. He has given me friends to help encourage me, family to support me and companions to stretch me. I have seen the Lord work miracles through the Faith of myself and those I have taught. The change that I have experienced and seen on my Mission has been amazing and it continues to teach me that we truly do have a loving Heavenly Father, that he sent his Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ to provide a way back through the Gospel he would teach, the example he would set and the Atonement He would suffer so that we can be forgiven.

   Moroni also tells us how long he has been merciful for. from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things. That this is not a new pattern of love from God but an established pattern of love since Adam by giving Adam time to repent and prepare to return back to our Heavenly Father. I am grateful for the Plan of Salvation that teaches us really how we can return and what we must do to be prepared.

   Finally Moroni teaches us what we can do to know this more. ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts. As we truly study, read, ponder and apply the scriptures we can find how merciful the Lord has been to us and our families. I know as we remember our ancestors and how merciful the Lord has been to them, we can come to appreciate the freedoms we have. I know as we remember our covenants and keep the commandments that we can be prepared to return to our Heavenly Father. I am grateful for those who have gone before me, because of them I am who I am today. Love you all be safe.

Love,

Elder Washburn 



No comments:

Post a Comment