Monday, June 12, 2017

Service (June 12th 2017)

What a great week this week, we had lots of opportunities to serve other people. We were able to pull weeds, work at a food pantry, chop wood, move rock and clear a garage. Serving is so much fun I love it when we get out and help people, brings a smile to my face. We got fed lots of Italian food this week. Gotta love that Pizza and Spaghetti. Elder Harper and I are doing great, having lots of fun doing the work. 

While we serve people I let my mind wander, because it is the only time that I really can. I have observed that when we serve people we are helping them change something, we are gaining a different view of there situation, we grow closer together, and we look beyond our own needs and help others. Serving others has been something that we have done a lot and it feels great. As Elder Bednar teaches when we serve we turn out instead of turning in to ourselves.

This is what happens when we repent, we are desiring to change and improve, we view our situation in a different way, we grow closer to the Savior, we begin to look beyond our self and seek on how we can help others. Repentance is change and turning our hearts to our Savior Jesus Christ. As we turn from sin and look to our Savior, Jesus Christ, we must fill those bad habits and short comings with faith-filled and Christ promoting activities. King Benjamin teaches this in Mosiah 2:17 

17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.

What a striking similarity between repenting and serving. I know as we serve others we feel happy because we ourselves are changing as well, we are turning our hearts to God, we are repenting. I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the only way for us to receive hope and happiness. I know that the Book of Mormon is true and we can receive this hope and happiness as we read it because it testifies of Christ and his Gospel. I am grateful for my opportunity to serve and help others to see the importance of the Gospel. I love you all have a great week. Be safe. 

Love, 

Elder Washburn










No comments:

Post a Comment