Monday, May 15, 2017

Hearers and Doers (May 15th 2017)

What a week we had! Some good things happen, we have been giving a lot of service. We did some service for Mickey again, shoveling more rock. We taught Codi and his wife Julie about how the Gospel blesses families, and Come and See. Taught Mason the Restoration, he loved it! He is a smart 9-year-old. We did a lot of walking on Thursday. It was a lot of fun. Walking is good for the soul. Had a couple good lessons with Kayla West and Michael Hagan, talked about praying to know if the Book of Mormon is true. Saturday was service day we moved garden beds and stained a deck in the morning. After doing that we went and helped chop wood at a gentleman's house who had a heart attack about 2 weeks earlier. We used a log splitter, it was fun but exhausting. It was a great week, also got to Skype the fam, that was exciting. Last time skyping home. Weird!!!

In my studies, I have been reading from the Epistles of James, Peter, and John. I have really enjoyed this study of the First Presidency of the ancient church. I love what they all talk about. I will share a few scriptures that I liked from each of them and share why I liked it. From James, I enjoyed James 1: 5-6 

5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

Taught me the importance of asking faith and if we need guidance we should turn to the master compass. As a missionary, we pray a lot and especially for guidance. It has helped teach me and testifies to me that we do have a Loving Heavenly Father who truly does know us and can guide us as we ask in Faith. James 1:22

22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

How often do we get in the motion of just listening, I catch myself in that habit all the time of just listening. It is important for us to listen but as we become doers we can really see the blessings of the Gospel come as we experience it. James 2:26 

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Faith is a principle of action, as we act in Faith we can grow/ strengthen our Faith. I have heard of the analogy of lifting weights. If we wish to be stronger we lift more. If we wish to have a stronger faith we do more activities that require and involve faith, such as praying, reading scriptures, going to church, repenting and many more examples. 

I could share a lot more scriptures but what would be the purpose? Learning the scriptures doesn't necessarily in the quantity that you read but in the quality that you apply. Applying the scriptures to our lives is very important. As we do that the scriptures become alive and influential in our lives, which is their intended purpose. To influence our lives in a positive way. I know that the Scriptures are true because I have experienced their instructive influence. I hope everyone can have a great week and have lots of fun happy Monday!

Love,

Elder Washburn




No comments:

Post a Comment